1884 Map of Clitherall, Otter Tail County, Minnesota

Clitherall was a village originally located in section 12 of Clitherall Township of Otter Tail County, which was settled in 1865 and platted in October 1881. It was named like the lake for Major George Clitherall.

Emma's family arrived with first group in 1865. As is depicted on the 1884 plat above, Francis Lewis Whiting's home was across from the church.

Edwin Buckley Anderson arrived in Cltherall in 1867, traveling from Manti with four covered wagons led by Francis Lewis Whiting, who had returned to Manti the previous fall to help family members move to Clitherall.