Conquest Aerial View 1947

Conquest is a village located in the Rural Municipality of Fertile Valley in Saskatchewan about 60 miles southwest of Saskatoon and 128 miles northwest of Moose Jaw. The village was erected in 1911, the same year that the Canadian Northern and Canadian Pacific Railways finished laying their tracks to Conquest.


Conquest Map 1911

The first settlers to the Fertile Valley area began to arrive in 1904 by way of Saskatoon. They traveled in wagons, with horses and oxen, following the old 'Bone Trail' made by the Indians to where Delisle now is. They then followed a new trail that closely paralleled the C.N.R. through Donavon, Swanson and Ardath. Between 1905 and 1910, many more settlers arrived. The early settlers were mostly from Ontario and Manitoba, with the occasional one from England, Ireland and Scotland. In 1910, both the C.P.R and C.N.R. were interested in getting in a road and numerous surveys were made and stakes set out. The C.P.R. purchased a town site on the NW 1/4 of 32-29-9-W3. Eventually a store was erected as well as other buildings and a doctor's office. In April 1911, the first mail arrived at the Conquest Post Office in a three decked wagon box.

The Village of Conquest was erected a village under The Village Act on October 24, 1911. In April 1922, P.H. Kennedy planted a tree belt on his land, convinced that this would help the farmers in fighting drought and blowing. In the early 1930's, he submitted his tree planting idea to the Minister of Agriculture. Since then, Mr. Kennedy was known as 'the father of the shelterbelts'. Conquest and area is made up of many shelterbelts consisting of caraganas, thus Conquest being named the Caragana Capital.