1907 Map of Earlsheaton
Earlsheaton, (or Soothill, Nether) was a hamlet and ecclesiastical district in the
parish of Dewsbury, West Riding of Yorkshire, one mile NE of Dewsbury. The village,
which was built of stone, is situated on a hill. The inhabitants were mostly employed
in the woolen and blanket manufacturing. St. Peter church, erected in 1827 and situated
on a hill, was a stone edifice in the decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave,
aisles, porch and tower with spire, containing a clock and a peal of 8 bells. It was a
cruciform structure with tower and spire. The population was employed in blanket, rug
and horse rug manufacture, in fulling and scribbling mills and dying and malting works.
The soil and subsoil are clay and the land is chiefly pasture.