1874 Map of Northern Township, Beltrani County, Minnesota

Northern Township is located directly north of the City of Bemidji in northern Minnesota. The township surrounds a large portion of beautiful Lake Bemidji.

Beltrami County was named after the Italian count Beltrami, an early explorer of the area. In 1887 Beltrami County was part of one of the state’s original nine counties, Becker County. The legislature authorized the creation of Beltrami County in 1893 with 137 townships.

Nineteen townships were given to Roseau County in 1895, reducing Beltrami County to 118 full and 37 fractional townships. On May 17, 1897, Beltrami County was fully organized with Bemidji as the county seat.

In the fall of 1899, Edwin and family moved to Northern Township, Beltrami County. They initially lived at Victor's homestead, and later moved to their location about two and half miles north-east of Victor's homestread.