Map of Nutana

Nutana was Saskatoon's first settlement, a pioneer temperance colony surveyed on the east bank of the South Saskatchewan River in July 1883. The name was changed from Saskatoon to "Nutana" when the settlement on the west side of the river, which developed after the railway established its depot there in 1890, incorporated as the Village of Saskatoon in 1901.

Saskatoon began as an agricultural community. The establishment of a business district around the railway facilities on the west side did not change the largely agricultural and residential character of the Nutana settlement. While the "west side" became the "downtown", Broadway Avenue, Nutana's central business street, retained its "Main Street" aura with general stores, livery stables, farm supply stores, and lumber yards side by side with schools and churches.

Note red dots which show where Victor and Jennie lived in Nutana between 1931 and 1964.